Marriage Adjustment

Immigration Marriage Adjustment

The path to U.S. citizenship is difficult. Years of patience are required, and people who are not an “immediate relative” of a U.S. citizen or green card holder will be subject to limits on the number of green cards that are given out annually.

However, a legal immigrant in the U.S. who marries a citizen may be eligible for adjustment of status through marriage. Marrying a U.S. citizen makes an immigrant an immediate relative, and accordingly eligible for a marriage-based green card.

With this type of green card, there are no annual limits regarding how many can be given out each year. This means that the new spouse may be able to hold a green card years earlier than would otherwise have been possible.

Marriage-Based Red Tape

This may make it sound as if an immigration marriage is the easy way to obtain a green card. The reality is that marriage adjustment can be an arduous process that requires a good deal of legal knowledge. Many couples who attempt to get a marriage-based green card on their own end up helplessly mired in an endless round of bureaucracy and red tape.

When couples desire a marriage adjustment in Ohio, it is advisable to begin the journey with skilled legal counsel. Our immigration lawyer, Barbara Griffin, can educate clients regarding the immigration marriage process from beginning to end, thereby assisting them to avoid many of the most common pitfalls.

With experienced legal counsel to help with paperwork, preparing for the interview and other aspects of the process, couples are able to obtain a green card in a shorter amount of time and with less worry.

Contact a Skilled Immigration Attorney for Help

Barbara Griffin of Williams, Kratcoski, Griffin & Can, LLC is an experienced Ohio immigration lawyer who has helped many couples finally obtain a long-awaited green card. Whether you are just beginning the process or have encountered obstructions along the way, contact a skilled immigration attorney in Kent, Ohio who will be able to provide the legal advice that you need.